Athens to Meteora 3-Day Trip by Train
Athens to Meteora 3-Day Trip by Train
While in Athens, don’t miss out the opportunity to visit Meteora. Join this 3-day adventure and find out why 2+ million visitors every year look forward to seeing the rocks that “suspend in the air”. Explore ancient monasteries, enjoy the breathtaking panoramic views and discover millennia-old secrets.
- Effortless roundtrip train tickets arrangement
- Convenient transfers from/to Kalabaka’s train station
- Accommodation in Meteora’s most delightful hotels
- Participation to our “Amazing Meteora Sunset” Tour
- Participation in a morning Sightseeing or Hiking Tour (your choice)
- See all six magnificent monasteries
- Learn the history and legends directly from a local
- Discover “hidden gems” like the hermitages of Bandovas
- Experience the breathtaking panoramic views
- Visit the Natural History and Mushrooms Museum of Meteora
- Visit the Digital Projection Centre of Meteora’s History and Culture
- Transfer with a VIP minibus
Redeem your train e-ticket (we will email it to you after your booking) for the 07:57 morning train departure from the Central Railway Station of Athens (Stathmos Larissis) to Kalabaka and travel on your own. Embark on a scenic train ride through the Greek countryside and admire the beautiful landscapes.
After the scenic train ride through the beautiful Greek countryside, you will arrive at 12:03 to Kalabaka’s train station, where our tour guide will be waiting for you holding a signboard with your name. You will then board in our comfortable VIP minibus in order to transfer you to your hotel for some relaxation before your afternoon tour.
In the afternoon we will pick you up from your hotel for the “Amazing Meteora Sunset” tour. During this guided tour you will have the opportunity to see all six majestic monasteries and admire the interior of one of them. You will view some of Meteora’s most spectacular “hidden gems” like the ancient hermitages of Bandovas, the Byzantine church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary and the picturesque old district of Kalabaka.
You will also discover the “other side” of Meteora, like the truth about why the hermits settled in these imposing caves a thousand years ago and how the monks achieved the “impossible”.
Last but not least, you will enjoy the breathtaking panoramic views, capture some amazing photos and witness one of the most breathtaking sunsets you will ever see.
At the end of the tour we will transfer you back to your hotel where you can relax or take a walk to explore on your own the town of Kalabaka.
Next morning, we will pick you up from your hotel in order for you to participate in your prefered morning tour (between “Meteora’s Wonder – Morning Tour” or “Hidden Trails of Meteora – Hiking”).
During this tour you will have the opportunity to admire Meteora’s spectacular landscape, further explore the rest of the monasteries and learn all about the place’s history and myths directly from a knowledgeable local.
Last but not least, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the breathtaking panoramic views and capture some amazing photos that you will cherish forever. After the tour ends we will transfer you back to your hotel.
In the afternoon you will have free time to fully explore the town of Kalabaka on your own, visit one of the many cafes or restaurants and relax.
Last day in Meteora so let’s make it count. In the morning, walk on your own (following our directions) to the nearby Natural History Museum of Meteora & Mushrooms Museum and redeem your entry ticket (we will deliver it to you upon your arrival). Explore a rich collection of birds and mammals as well as an integrated Mushroom museum, which is one of its kind in Europe.
Afterwards, walk on your own (following our directions) to the nearby Digital Projection Centre of Meteora’s History and Culture and redeem your entry ticket (we will deliver it to you upon your arrival). Enjoy a sensational 3D show-tour and travel millions of years ago. Learn about the unique phenomenon of Meteora and wander through the monasteries and the surrounding area.
This concludes your 3-day adventure to Meteora. You will then have some free time for you to relax or visit some of the many cafes or restaurants of Kalabaka.
At 18:00 our minibus will pick you up in order to transfer you back to Kalabaka’s train station for your trip back to Athens. The train departs at 18:22 and arrives in Athens at 22:26.
- Roundtrip train tickets (Athens to Kalabaka)
- Transfer service from/to Kalabaka’s Train Station
- Accommodation (two nights) at a three or four star hotel
- Two delicious breakfasts at the hotel
- Participation to our “Amazing Meteora Sunset Tour”
- Participation in a Morning Sightseeing or Hiking Tour (your choice)
- Natural History and Mushrooms Museum of Meteora Entry Tickets
- Digital Projection Centre of Meteora’s History and Culture Entry Tickets
- Transfer with a luxury VIP minibus
- English-Speaking local guide
- Free Wi-Fi in the bus
- All taxes
- Transfers to/from the Central Railway Station of Athens
- Entrance fees of each monastery (3 euros per person)
- Guided tour inside the monasteries (available upon request)
- Meals and drinks
Worry-free bookings with our 24 hour free cancellation policy. Cancel your booking at least 24 hours before the tour’s starting time and be eligible for a full refund. *If you do not show up for the tour or fail to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, you will not be liable for a refund.
- Departure: Athens Railway Station at 07:57
- Meeting point: Kalampaka’s Train Station at 12:03
- Your train e-tickets will be sent to you via email shortly after your booking.
- The monasteries of Meteora impose a strict dress code. Men must wear long trousers. Women must wear long skirts and cover their shoulders.
- The monasteries of Meteora only accept cash for the entrance fees.
1st Class Seats
The train e-tickets are issued on 2nd class seats. If you wish to upgrade them to 1st class seats you may choose to add to your basket the 1st Class Seats add-on that will pop-up on your screen before you complete the booking.
*1st class seats are often unavailable. You will not be charged at the moment for this upgrade. We will first try to book a 1st class seat for you and if so you will pay the difference upon arrival. We will notify you via email.